Thursday, December 8

November - Kabuki, Casino and Pumpkin Soup

Another month. I can't believe that I've been here for a bit over 5 months now. It really doesn't feel that long, but at the same time feels much longer. The uncertainties of the future and my status here in this country has started playing on my mind a little. December is the month that I should find out if I can legally stay here for another 6 months or if I need to leave ASAP. When I have a reply from the Dutch Immigration people at least then I will have one less question to worry about, and can start work at a crappy call centre. The other questions are all to do with "what am I going to do here?"

Obviously Speech Pathology will be quite difficult to do here (read: almost impossible). And do I really want to do my Masters in Speech Pathology here (in Dutch) next year (as I have told the Immigration Department in my visa application). Its all just a bit hard. So I have had to start thinking about something else for employment in the future here... for a time when something other than a call centre is desired.

For a little while now I have been thinking of what sort of job I would be good for me here in this country. I'm asking for suggestions to add to the list. I'm feel a little like I am once again in year 10 having to pick my subjects for VCE while trying to work out what I want to do professionally with my life. Options I have come up with so far:
  • electrician
  • gardener (... but it is so cold here in the winter)
  • health inspector for the council (you know, go around and make sure the restaurants are clean)
  • ?
  • ?

A little help would be really appreciated.

Language is coming along. This week in class we were introduced to a very interesting sentence. I found it so interesting that I as soon as I was home and had someone to talk to, I used it and felt like a fool. Believe it or not but this is a grammatically correct sentence. And it is not said by someone with a stutter.

Herinner je je je oude vriend?

Means, "remember you yourself your old friend" (ie. "remember your old friend?"). Where is the logic in saying "je" three times in one sentence? Today we had a fascinating lesson about Clock Museums. My classes are at times frustrating.

Things of note from November

  • Martijn and I registered our marriage here. So it was sort of like another reason to celebrate it again.. as if the previous 3 times were not enough. So we hit the local bar, had a few BIG glasses of yummy winter beer and played SPIT (the card game)
  • It snowed. The snow melted and now it is just cold. Tonights temperature is around 0, -1. Nice. Tonight I had my jacket on while I waited for my toast to cook (not a lot of heating in the kitchen). My hands are continually cold, no matter what I do. I cant keep them warm. Martijn is complaining everynight. Sometimes he makes me hold them under warm water, but they soon go cold when I get back to bed.
  • Celebrated Kabuki last weekend by getting really dressed up and going to the poor people's corner of the casino with new Australian friends from a city nearby.
  • Met a pair an Australian couple who live nearby. Despite it all beginning a little like a blind date and being a bit weird, we have now gone out for a few drinks a few times.
  • Began Karate lessons
  • Made pumpkin soup twice

No comments: