Monday, August 18

Martijn's graduation!


He did it. Martijn finished his Masters degree (Dutch Law). Things are done a bit different here. He went into a room to defend his thesis and after that was completed, the whole family was invited into a little room to hear Martijn's thesis supervisor talk about Martijn and present his degree. He even has a title now.. its Weledelgestrenge heer van der Wel". Dont ask me what it means.

No one told me that afterwards, it is expected that everyone kiss/shake hands with Martijn to congratulate him and that I was supposed to go first. Im not really a "show affection in public" sort of person so there was a bit of a weird awkward period while everyone waited for me to start the public affection.

What I had been ready for was people congratulating Deborah and I on Martijn's graduation. Just like birthdays here, the partners and parents get in on the action. I still think its weird to say to someone "Congratulations on your son/daughter/husbands graduation/birthday". But I got through it with some help from a bottle of wine (see red face in the photos later in the evening).

(above) Out at dinner.

I organised a graduation present for Martijn - a fold-up bike. Heaps of people chipped in with the gift and we were able to get his a fast, sexy, blue bike! (above)

Before the main course (above).


1 comment:

Kelly said...

Objection! Doesn't our couch count as public space? YOu've certainly displayed affection on it in front of us. I rest my case