October... it was a month of 0 extravagance and little luxury. Why? Well, firstly Martijn received his last monthly salary for his internship which finishes in the last week of October (people are usually paid monthly here) and no contracts have been signed (yet) regarding his next job. Secondly, I am still in visa-limbo-land and no visa means no work. The stuff that I do now for a research project is officially "voluntary".
So, once again Martijn and I find ourselves trying to maximise the fun while minimizing the costs of having fun. It sounds catchy, but isnt actually that much fun. The update of life...... Martijn has been offered a job as a lawyer in Nijmegen on the condition that he passes an assessment day first. The assessment is with a psychologist and covers everything from intellectual ability and self potential to role-playing. If it all goes well, he can start work as "Lawyer Martijn" in December.
My situation.... I have been travelling around the province looking for participants/subjects for the research project I am "voluntary" involved in. This means that I get to ride around on my bike with an enormous laptop on my back going to people's houses to test them. Sometimes its raining and I ride there while holding an umbrella. As Im not very good at riding with an umbrella, I always try to keep some distance between myself and my fellow riders - especially at traffic lights and intersections. If it is really windy or wet, I treat myself and catch a bus.
On the social side of life, its been a good month. Going out and making a single beer last a whole night is no small feat. Sometimes Martijn and I splurge out and buy another round (its all about the price-fun ratio). We went out with Kelly and Douwe to a Chinese restaurant in Den Haag and gorged ourselves. The lazy suzan just kept going around and around until all the plates were empty. Entertainment was even provided by Douwe and Martijn (see film in following post).
So, once again Martijn and I find ourselves trying to maximise the fun while minimizing the costs of having fun. It sounds catchy, but isnt actually that much fun. The update of life...... Martijn has been offered a job as a lawyer in Nijmegen on the condition that he passes an assessment day first. The assessment is with a psychologist and covers everything from intellectual ability and self potential to role-playing. If it all goes well, he can start work as "Lawyer Martijn" in December.
My situation.... I have been travelling around the province looking for participants/subjects for the research project I am "voluntary" involved in. This means that I get to ride around on my bike with an enormous laptop on my back going to people's houses to test them. Sometimes its raining and I ride there while holding an umbrella. As Im not very good at riding with an umbrella, I always try to keep some distance between myself and my fellow riders - especially at traffic lights and intersections. If it is really windy or wet, I treat myself and catch a bus.
On the social side of life, its been a good month. Going out and making a single beer last a whole night is no small feat. Sometimes Martijn and I splurge out and buy another round (its all about the price-fun ratio). We went out with Kelly and Douwe to a Chinese restaurant in Den Haag and gorged ourselves. The lazy suzan just kept going around and around until all the plates were empty. Entertainment was even provided by Douwe and Martijn (see film in following post).
I also went for a "wandel" with Neva on a fantastic autum day. It was full an afternoon of mud and nature.

So, October was a month of:
- riding around
- wandeling around
- yoga-ing around
- graduating
- discovering how fun a friday night can be at the public library (and cheap too)
- rationing (eg, water in the orangejuice, 70% milk in the hot chocolate)
Next month I hope to:
- maintain an adequately interesting fun-barometer reading
1 comment:
The entertainment @ the Chinese was free. And I'm sure martijn can REALLY roleplay. spank! is this inappropriate for public comment?
Post a Comment