Thursday, March 9

March - finally a way to make some money


On reflection, my goals for March were not a huge success. Here is how it went:
  1. buy/steal a good bike --> I just couldn't steal and I couldn't part with all that money to buy a bike
  2. get out riding more often --> see number 1, no good bike, no comfortable rides
  3. find "black" work --> this part is coming along. I have begun advertising my cleaning/housework skills in the local supermarkets. So far I have had one response.. I begin this week.
  4. finish painting the bedroom --> sort of done... but I wouldn't call it complete
  5. remove all the horrible yellow paint that we painted in the lounge room --> not yet complete, but I am burning myself less often on the heat gun now
  6. read the newspaper every 2-3 days --> its sitting at about once a fortnight. Room for improvement here.
In other news for the month, I finally had my first moment where I had had enough of The Netherlands. Want to know what the turning point was? I was out having a nice time, had a few drinks, then all of a sudden the following 3 things happened. I was not allowed to have a "free" glass of water, I was told I would have to buy some fancy water from the south of France; I wasn't allowed to take an empty glass into the bathroom to fill it up with water; and everyone was expected to pay to use the toilet. Come on... this is a pub. That is what you do. You drink. You piss. I was almost in tears on the dance floor.....

Another exciting thing. Neva and I have found a way that we can make some money in The Netherlands without having to have a work permit. Ah the wonderful world of science. We have become "subjects" for different experiments. Last week I was involved in an experiment for the neuro imaging department of the hospital. My first EEG - I still have all the little red dots on my head to prove it. Neva has been getting into the experiments for the Psychology department at the university. On Thursday I have an appointment for some experiment by the Psy department too. I have also been put on the list for the MRI experiment!

I have confirmed my return flight back to Melbourne and will be in town for about a month. I will arrive on the 6th July and head off again in August (around the 10th I think). So apply now for annual leave or plan your sick days! I will let everyone know when I will be in Warrnambool and when I will be in Melbourne when I know.

Other things of note from March:
  • Still no word on my visa - have lodged a complaint against the Immigration Department
  • Sat my language exams - still have to wait a few more weeks for the results
  • Started watching "foreign" films with Dutch subtitles
  • Had my first experience trying to explain in Dutch to the "specialist" how I wanted my bikini line waxed (painful, expensive and uneven are words that come to mind)
  • Went to a Brazilian percussion night and played the drums
  • Discovered I had a dormant talent for badminton
Sorry there are not many photo's this time around, but I left the camera at Martijn's mum's place and I haven't picked it up yet. Next time more photos.

Are you still asking yourself why there are chickens stuck on the wall? I am.

No comments: