Deciding over a coffee to move to another country and enrol in a master’s degree that was taught in another language (which I did not yet speak) was, some might say, a bold move. Looking back on that moment, I don’t think I really considered how difficult it would be.
I was drawn to the research topic investigating speech intelligibility using semantically unpredictable sentences for two reasons. Firstly, I find the topic of intelligibility to be both interesting and this method of measurement has possible applications to both the Netherlands and Australia. Secondly, I had assumed that not being a native Dutch speaker would not be a disadvantage for a measurement where the sentences are not supposed to make sense. I was proven to be wrong about point two.
This thesis is the result of three years of work – learning Dutch, delving into the world of speech and language research and undertaking this thesis as part of the Master Taal- en Spraakpathologie (Language and Speech Pathology). It would not have been possible to complete any of the above alone - I would like to thank the following people. Drs. Kerkhoff and prof. dr. Rietveld who have only ever been supportive of my desire to enrol and complete this degree and have provided just the right amount of encouragement when necessary. Their insights into the world of speech and language research have been invaluable. During the research thesis, my two supervisors (drs. Beijer and prof. dr. Rietveld) allowed me the space to work independently while providing guidance and “food for thought” throughout this research process. Thanks to these two individuals, I have learnt that flexibility is a necessary characteristic within the world of research. I also owe thanks to dr. de Swart who took time to discuss this topic with me and assisted in approaching subjects for this study. To my family and friends both here and in Australia, and to my partner, my feeling of accomplishment needs to be shared with you all – this achievement is as much yours as it is mine.
Finished. Presented. Graded. Defended.
Now just the graduation on the 8th of October.
Now just the graduation on the 8th of October.

2 comments:
Big woop-di-doo basil!! I love the title, it's up there with The History of tractors in Lithuania and The Woman Who thought her Husband was a Coat -stand.
Kelly, I didnt like that book about the tractors much...
Renee
Post a Comment