September began with the promise of a job as a researcher, dreams of finally having some cash, plans of travel and buying a new doona cover. Hence I dumped all but one of my crappy-jobs and set my sights on starting work on the 1st of September. We celebrated my change in status from "foreign student" to "person with a future in this country".
People were happy. People sent cards.
After a chat to the immigration people, my job quickly became a "hypothetical job". It appeared that Martijn and I had built plans on information given to us by the immigration people that was actually incorrect. I had to start a new process of visa applications and there was absolutely no way I would be starting work anywhere near soon.
With some negotiation with the people who wanted to employ me, I am now working as a volunteer on one of the research projects. The idea is that one day, when all my paperwork is in order, I may be reimbursed for my time. We will wait and see.....
September was a month of:
- disappointment
- starting a new visa application and the attached waiting period (up to 6 months)
- shouting myself a new doona cover (it was on sale)
- a visit from Maria
- working as a volunteer
- starting yoga classes (for obvious reasons I think)
- Martijn living 2-3 days at Kelly's place while he completes an internship
I hope next month to:
- receive a super fast response to my visa application
- enjoy my graduation ceremony
- find my inner-yogi
1 comment:
congrats man!!
you have done the ack"E"demic world proud of your now gargantuan list of scholastic achievements
as Thomas Huxley said
Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.
and as for yoga....
i find laying out strips of packing tape out along the ground then rolling in it - far more condusive to attaining harmony
but thats me
Brendan
Post a Comment