I wasn't joking. The past few weeks, I have had so many comments from people on how white I am. Here are some examples:
- The HR people at my 'future' work told me that I should probably wait a few weeks before they take my photo for the id badge. They said it would give me some time to get some colour on my face.
- At the chemist I asked for some advice on a new concealer. She looked at my skin and said, "This is the lightest shade we have. Lets hope this is light enough for you."
- For the new visa application I had to get another official photo made. The guy had heaps of trouble with the lighting because "the lights were just bouncing off" my white-white face.
April was the month when....
- Martijn and I went to our first DEATH METAL concert. Let me explain. Our housemate, Michiel, plays guitar in two bands, one of which is the death metal band The New Dominion (the other band is instrumental and he now also has a solo cd). The metal band went on a bit of a European tour with a Dutch-American group and a Norwegian group.... and Martijn and I were on the door list for the Dutch gig. I can't say that it is really my thing, but I had a really great time and even told Martijn he could buy me a band shirt for my birthday!

- The annual Cycle Pancake took place. Last year I did the "short" 56km tour (see April 2008 post), this year I completed the "long" circut (about 90km). Photos to come.
- I made carrotcake muffins for the Conversational English group. They had never seen such a thing and some needed convincing that a) carrots can really go in a cake, and b) just because a cake has vegetables in it, doesnt make it healthy.
- The last day of April was Queen's day - public holiday for most people. Martijn and I spent the day in Leiden with Kelly, Douwe, Kaemon and Nelson. We ditched the crowds for a relaxed Belgian beer garden with beanbags and white beer. In the evening, we even had a bbq.

Visa update
The other application didnt go through so I have submitted a new visa application. Im told that there should be a decision made within a 'few weeks' - I will believe it when I see it. Martijn and I continue to be happy seeing how far we can stretch a single income (wait till you see the homemade birthday card I gave Martijn for his birthday!).
2 comments:
European-Dutch-Orange colour - the orange colour is from the solariums. It's the same in Norway. It's awful if you ask me.
What are people thinking? They are orange!
Renee
Post a Comment