
August 2009 - on paper it was a busy month. Full-time at the clinic, full-time at the bike shop, and a relay triathlon and evening swim on the occasional free day. The relay triathlon was heaps of fun. I did the swim leg (1.5km in a dirty canal where I was swimming blind because visibility was so poor), Maartje was in charge of the cycling (20km), and Elisabeth took control of the running part (10km). There is also a segment from a sports show on you-tube. Its not really that interesting except for the start of the race. I started at the back to avoid being swum over by the crowd (in the photo above, my head is center back). There were 9 tri-teams in total. We were no-where near a podium placing... but we were not last! That was our goal.
The weather has been pretty warm here. Normally, that is great; however, the bike shop has 0 windows, no cooling, no air-circulation, and no insulation under the tin roof. Sweat. Last week it was so warm I didn't have to work because nobody was leaving their houses. I took the opportunity to go for a swim in a nearby lake with some friends. We were only in the water for about 5 minutes before we had to get out because of lightning. It was a night of "choose your danger" - swimming with lighting or riding home in lighting and rain! I rode home.
Working 5 days in the bike store means riding 150km every week just to and from work. I've been going to bed at very un-adult times just because I've been so tired. The up-side from being so busy is that I try to make the most of any free day I have. For example, yesterday Martijn and I pulled out the picnic backpack and headed to the park (on our bikes of course) for an evening of smelly cheese, wine, dip and a dvd (we took the laptop with us). The battery only lasted long enough to get us through the previews - but the idea was great.
August has been a month of:
The weather has been pretty warm here. Normally, that is great; however, the bike shop has 0 windows, no cooling, no air-circulation, and no insulation under the tin roof. Sweat. Last week it was so warm I didn't have to work because nobody was leaving their houses. I took the opportunity to go for a swim in a nearby lake with some friends. We were only in the water for about 5 minutes before we had to get out because of lightning. It was a night of "choose your danger" - swimming with lighting or riding home in lighting and rain! I rode home.
Working 5 days in the bike store means riding 150km every week just to and from work. I've been going to bed at very un-adult times just because I've been so tired. The up-side from being so busy is that I try to make the most of any free day I have. For example, yesterday Martijn and I pulled out the picnic backpack and headed to the park (on our bikes of course) for an evening of smelly cheese, wine, dip and a dvd (we took the laptop with us). The battery only lasted long enough to get us through the previews - but the idea was great.
August has been a month of:
- making the most of my free days!
- having a healthy bank balance for the first time in years
No comments:
Post a Comment