We all know it now - with my new nationality I finally have no more visa problems here and, as I keep telling Martijn, I can go live and work in
In March I had a job interview at a university in
I have a hard time using, and sticking to, formal Dutch. Usually I can only keep it up for a few minutes and after that I use a mixture of informal and formal pronouns throughout the conversation. Although messy, most people understand and appreciate the effort. Martijn and I spent days addressing each other using formal Dutch, even when other people were around. Martijn was also a great help in practicing the question answer stuff in Dutch.
Accepting the position means a few changes - moving to a city halfway between here and
× Bathroom with a window
× Sunlight in the house
× Outdoor area big enough for 2 chairs
× Minimum floor area of 80m2
× Power points that aren’t halfway up the walls
× Office/spare-room
× Washing machine not in the kitchen
× Storage space
× Kitchen cupboards not directly above the sink
× (extra) toilet not in the bathroom
× Space to hang or store the bikes
So far we have seen 2 houses from the inside, and about 15 from the outside (looking through windows and peeping over fences). It is weird here. Most properties can only be seen during business hours or after work – real estate agents generally don’t work on Saturdays. You either have to continually take days off or view properties in the dark. I will let you know how the search goes.
I think I have written enough for the April update. The summary:
× Embarrassed myself at a pub quiz (I can’t show my face again)
× Started looking into buying a house in another city
× Lots of going out to dinner
× High-tea Dutch style (high teas are all the rage here)
× Citizenship ceremony
× Meeting a group of Aussies that work at a local linguistics institute
× Working lots of shifts in the bike store
× Counting down the days till I finish my current job
1 comment:
definitely drop the powerpoints one, that's a deal breaker in this country.
Post a Comment