Wednesday, June 9

Am I now really Dutch?

Today I picked up my Dutch identity card. This card is just as good as a Dutch passport and means I can freely travel (and work) in the EU. My first act with this 'Dutch card' was to vote (today is the national election). It was strange voting because you want to vote and not because you will get a fine if you don't.

I'm going to stick to the Australian way of discussing voting, which is not talking about who I voted for. Here it is common to talk about which party you voted.

Although I don't feel Dutch, don't know the national anthem, and still get the Dutch flag mixed up with the all the other red, white and blue flags, I have done my bit. And that has to mean something.

2 comments:

nicky said...

you know the colours atleast!

Kelly said...

voting is a basic way to contribute to a country, or to have revenge on said country...I start to wish I could vote!