- Photos on the right: I remember I was feeling really Dutch one day in March (= dress, boots & scarf) so took a few snaps. Wow, I had no idea my fringe was so... short. Luckily hair grows and I semi-liked it at the time.
- Photos on the left: In the dry, sunny, yet cold, weekends of March Tijn and I got out into a forest... as Martijn sometimes likes to do. You cant tell, but I've got my gloves on and am wearing thermals.
And now we jump to today - my birthday. My fringe has grown, I'm back to a lighter hair colour, it feels like summer, its time for big sunglasses on the balcony and now I'm listening to Big Pig (thanks M&D for sending that over!). I love this time of year.
Today (my birthday), I went cycling with a friend and we had cake and coffee in a little village before riding back home. Tonight Martijn and I are going out to dinner to our fav place for dinner (Merry - do you remember the place?). It may be our last time there because in 4 weeks we move to our new place. If anyone is in the Netherlands on June 2nd and wants to help us move, let me know!
We have been busy the last few weeks buying the important things like a fridge, washing machine, bucket, and dustpan and brush. Now just the little things like glasses, plates and tomato plants. The other week I was quizzing Martijn's mum on moving etiquette and all things related to being a Dutch home-owner. Some things you may not know:
- it is normal that you have a little postcard made with your new address and send this to everyone you know.
- within the first few weeks of moving, you are expected to go around to all your neighbours, introduce yourself and invite them over for coffee. As the new person on the block, you go to them - they don't come to you.
- it is common to hang a little plaque on the front of your house with the names of everyone who lives there.
March and April highlights
- submitted my first 2 articles - will hear sometime this month (May if one is accepted)
- my work contract has been extended for another 3 years!
- attended a sushi workshop at Kelly's place
- had a small 'fight' with some woman in the train about personal space in the train. It's a long story... the important thing to know is that I psyched her out and I won the 'altercation'). I did, however, decide to try to be nicer to my fellow human beings.
- went riding with Deborah for 2 days - it was heaps of fun being back out on the bike


No comments:
Post a Comment