Sunday, September 30

September review

The month started really well. Tijn and I were still in Spain on holiday for the first week of September. Then we came home and the 2nd week of September I fell into a post-holiday dip. Then on the 3rd week my parents came to visit. Goodbye post-holiday dip and hello dip-shit platters. Ah, the smell of smelly cheese and black pepper crackers.
During M&D's visits in NL in addition to eating cheese, we went on some forest walks, walked through some rose gardens and parks (see photo 1), walked around and inside an old castle (see photo 2) and walked to places for lunch, dinner, coffee &/or apple pie. Why so much walking? On the days Tijn and I were not working it was too wet or windy to go riding. We will have to make up for this lack of bike riding on their next visit (although mum did come with me to the gym for an indoor cycling class!!)

Photo 1: Tijn, Des and Mum strutting through the park (and I mean strutting)


Photo 2: A castle with a moat (this is pretty good as far as Dutch castles go)
And then, in the 4th week, my parents left and Martijn and I both went into a post-summer, post-holiday, post-visitors dip. Lucky for us it is now October.
Just a photo to prove that it is autumn

September was a month of

Emotions
  • a few peaks and dips
Food
  • not being able to take M&D to a restaurant that I really wanted to try which lead to the discovery of an amazing seafood restaurant in Utrecht
  • after my parents left Tijn and I went back to that restaurant and we were mighty disappointed with the food (we will in future just stick to the beer)
New experiences
  • went with Kelly to this place where fish such and eat the dead skin on your hands and feet
Practical things
  • getting a new boiler-thing for the central heating
  • picking up my new internet banking password (it has only taken me a year to get around to this)

Next month I'm looking forward to

  • trip to Atlanta (shit, still have to book my ticket)
  • buying some plastic boots so I can walk around and collect leaves -most likely wet because it rains a lot here in autumn- to mulch the garden and protect the plants in the winter

No comments: