Slack arse? Me? No way... just a busy little duck. Or is it a chicken? "Busy little duck-chicken" - that's what I am!
Ducks and chickens aside, it has been really crazy the last three months. I apologise now to anyone who may think I have abandoned them and this blog. To make up for this lapse, it would be comforting to be able to include heaps of interesting news and information in this update.... but I'm afraid that wont be the case. So what has been going on the past 3 months... It doesn't take that many paragraphs to bring everyone up to date.
Lets go in alphabetical order through the "areas of my life".
Ducks and chickens aside, it has been really crazy the last three months. I apologise now to anyone who may think I have abandoned them and this blog. To make up for this lapse, it would be comforting to be able to include heaps of interesting news and information in this update.... but I'm afraid that wont be the case. So what has been going on the past 3 months... It doesn't take that many paragraphs to bring everyone up to date.
Lets go in alphabetical order through the "areas of my life".
- Area 1: Academic
I had to re-sit an exam (neuro-psychology) which I failed at the end of 2007. I thought I did crap but was really surprised to find out that I passed. Not a fantastic pass, but a pass all the same. I also started my scriptie (masters research project). You are supposed to work on it 5 days a week to get it finished in the 6 months - but I have about 1 day per week free so I probably won't have it finished until September or something. It's an interesting project though and is about developing an assessment tool to measure the speech intelligibility of people with Parkinson's disease. Sounds simple, but isn't really. Other news, last week I had to present a literature research paper to a department at the hospital (ENT department). Luckily I was allowed to give the presentation in English! At the end though it was really strange that people asked their questions in Dutch and I would answer back in English. It really messes with your head.
- Area 2: Family
At the start of February I flew back home as my grandmother had become suddenly ill. Was really one of those "drop everything and just go" decision making moments. I'm really glad I was able to get back in time to see her just before she died. Although it was under sad circumstances, it was fantastic being home and seeing my family again (I hadn't been home for about 18months). The two weeks I was back I spent with my family and extended family. When I arrived back in NL, I was "stress free" for 1 day - and then it all hit me again.
- Area 3: Social
Aside from the great trip to Spain with Maria and Lars, this side of life hasn't had much space at the moment. Any social event is usually a by-product of one of my other "areas".
- Area 4: Sport
This too took a backseat over Feb-March. 1st there was the trip to Spain and then I was in Australia.. then I jumped right back into my "normal" schema and the result was that during the cycling training I had 0 energy and was at least 20km away from the city where I live. The training had to literally "push" me home. Then, just when things were starting to come good, I got, and still have, a stomach bug (here its called a stomach cold). Running wise, things are going better. Have still been slowly re-building my running since I hurt my knee, but at this stage I'm not sure what sort of form I will be in for the triathlon season this year. Have to wait and see how it goes.
- Area 5: Relationship
Martijn and I have been on 2 dates... yes, you read it correct. He organised the 1st one and I the 2nd. My date (the one I organised) was cool, but then again, you can't really go easily wrong with cheap wine and a warm restaurant.
- Area 6: Relaxation
Elisabeth, Martijn and I chilled out last night with pasta, wine and a dvd (although most of the pasta and wine was for them - my tummy still has a 'cold'). This weekend (easter weekend) Marijn and I are staying a night at his mum's place - that is always relaxing as she goes out of her way to make sure that all the things you love are there when she comes to visit. This means that for Martijn there is lots of fresh ham, bread, juice and the newspaper, for me goatscheese and soya yoghurt. Coming up in the 'relaxation agenda' is a trip with Ellisabeth to the day spa/sauna for an evening of bubbles. We had planned to do this earlier but it had to be postponed due to my trip to australia.
- Area 7: work
What can I say. Work is work. I have just recently decided to cut back on the number of hours that I work to try and give my study some more time. Financially not smart but hopefully long term sensible. My research supervisor is also trying to find a way to employ me as a temporary student-research assistant for one of her projects; however it is never easy when work permits are involved. I will be very surprised if they can pull it off.
Should I have included another area called "the future"? Martijn and I had to work out some sort of plan about 'the future' as he is now in the winding up phase of his study and is applying for jobs. The FUTURE most likely involve a move to another place in NL... which I was in tears about as I don't really want to move seeing I have built up a little life here which I am relatively happy with. I'm not really looking forward to having to do that all again.... it was hard enough this time. However the jobs in the area where Martijn is interested in just aren't to be found here. So, the plan is: we make no decisions about where we will live until I know where I can find a job and we know where Martijn is working. And then what??? Arm-wrestle?
And I think that is most things. I could go on here about the weather, but I wont. I will just say that people are referring to this easter and a being christmas like (cold, hale, wet snow, rain.... miserable weather).
Wow, this has been a long (and overdue) update. If you managed to read it all then congratulations!
Should I have included another area called "the future"? Martijn and I had to work out some sort of plan about 'the future' as he is now in the winding up phase of his study and is applying for jobs. The FUTURE most likely involve a move to another place in NL... which I was in tears about as I don't really want to move seeing I have built up a little life here which I am relatively happy with. I'm not really looking forward to having to do that all again.... it was hard enough this time. However the jobs in the area where Martijn is interested in just aren't to be found here. So, the plan is: we make no decisions about where we will live until I know where I can find a job and we know where Martijn is working. And then what??? Arm-wrestle?
And I think that is most things. I could go on here about the weather, but I wont. I will just say that people are referring to this easter and a being christmas like (cold, hale, wet snow, rain.... miserable weather).
Wow, this has been a long (and overdue) update. If you managed to read it all then congratulations!
1 comment:
Don't cry, Nay - we love you and everything will work out. Plus summer is coming!
Post a Comment