Well, after noticing that my "temporary" permit was about to expire on the 2nd (today) I called the immigration people (IND) to ask if my application had been processed and if a decision had been made. Needless to say I was a little concerned....
After giving them my dossier number, I was very surprised to hear that they were calling me "Gillian". This was a mistake on there part about 5 months ago by getting ALL my details wrong (name, nationality, age, reason for being here) except my address. After a number of phone calls and letters from me to the IND to try and fix this and to inform them of my new address... I had thought everything was in order.
"disappointed" was one of the milder words that came to mind after I heard that they were still calling me Gillian (even I could tell you I don't speak Dutch with a South African accent, it is very much an Australian accent).
The worst part was that I couldn't get as agitated/angry over the phone as I wanted to be.. I just don't have the language ability to do that. The best I could do was to be meek and say, "oh, so I just have to keep waiting?" and "how strange that all the details are not correct", "am I allowed to leave the house after the 2nd?". Its times like this I wonder if I am the same "Renee" in Dutch as I am in English. Does that make any sense?
Martijn called the IND back today to tell them all the things that I couldn't say and to make sure that I had understood the previous conversations correctly. Isn't he nice? He knew exactly what to say after he was told that "we are not the only people waiting for a visa".....
So as of the 3rd, I am a sort of illegal here as my permit is no longer valid... and my name is not Gillian.
1 comment:
Hi ! Any news from the immigration department ? I guess not...
My sister Stine should be in Amsterdam from today on..I told her that you sent an email, hopefully she replies back.
This week has been un-eventful so far. Work is getting more and more on my nerves. I find myself swearing to my customers more and more frequently, after they hang up off-course. It's really time to move on. I had an interview with the recruitment agent for my job in Norway on Monday night. It is more or less a formality, but they still have to "do the right thing" and treat me like any other candidate. I am still the preferred person for the job, appareantly. The guy was nice, though I got a little bit tired of hearing my name after every sentence. "You know, Lars, the process we have to go through, Lars, is very important, so I appreciate that you take your time, Lars.." and so on. They want referees now, which is a bit of a problem:
Referee 1 (my old boss in Oracle): Got fired from his position, got escorted out from the building I worked in, I think he had been talking to a competitor to get a job with them
Referee 2 (HR-person at Oracle):
Left the company 6 months ago, no-one in HR there know who I am/was
Referee 3 (Team leader from Salesforce):
His favourite expression is HOWZAT !!
Enough said.
Referee 4 (Manager from my job in Norway - 2002 (!)):
Has moved into different position, and didn't answer any emails last time I tried to contact her. Not reliable.
What do I do ? I cannot use anyone in GE as referee. All hell would break loose if they knew I was looking for a job.
I know one person I can use, one of my old colleagues in Norway. Apart form that - nada. Great !!
You wanted to know about everyday stuff here. Highlights the last few days:
Saturday: Maria went to Ascot Vale for that special visit, while I was talking to the neighbour. When he asked where she was going, I lied and said she was going for a massage. It's the neighbour, and I didn't feel like telling him that Maria was getting waxed.
Went to see Kiss Kiss Bang Bang at the Moonlight Cinema in Botanical Gardens with Jacko and Debs. Fun and cheap.
Sunday: it's a blur..
Monday: work and that interview at night
Tuesday: same old. Realising that being a Norwegian is all of a sudden dangerous. People are burning our flag all around the world. Oh well, I guess we deserved it.
Wednesday: Forgot my monthly ticket at home, and got stopped by inspectors. Strangely enough they just told me to get off and buy a ticket. $100 bucks saved, thank you.
Will keep updated on other fun fun stuff.
Post a Comment