Thursday, November 10

General Update

As you would have seen from your email, I'm not doing the group email update the same way anymore. And the other photo thing wasn't really working out for me either. I have been busy today getting this blog thing together. Hence the reason why I have about 6 posts in one day. Would love some feedback (do you hate it/love it; have a question about my very exciting life here; want to know how the coriander is going?)

I think the last update I sent was around the time we moved (and began with the painting, which still isn't finished). It has been an interesting last month. Full of out of control emotions. Maybe I should explain.

Language wise... it's coming along. The "semi-intensive" language classes are anything but "semi". The amount of homework and expected rate of learning is very fast. My vocabulary isn't as large as the other students so most of my energy in the class goes into just understanding the instructions from the teacher about what it is that I have to do. There isn't alot of space left in my head in the class to concentrate on the grammar exercise that I am supposed to be doing. Most of the time I finish these classes feeling demoralised and very ordinary.
Then later that day (or the next day when I am ready to face the world again), I am told by people (e.g. chick at the bank) that my Dutch is actually pretty good (considering length of time in country). And I think "yeah" or "inderdaad" . And then I go to uni.. and the cycle goes on.
So I spend alot of time preparing for classes, which detracts from the time available to do other things... like develop a social life. But I think that this is also important, hence the Capoeira dance classes and next week I begin karate (I also accidently signed up for rugby, but I think I have managed to un-sign myself).
On Wednesday after the dance class, everyone was invited to the house of a fellow dancer for coffee/tea. Have I mentioned the orginisation which sponsors the dance class? It is an organisation for women.... Predominately older women... Who work at home.... With not so young children. For Neva and I (yep, we do the dance classes together) this coffee invitation was a bit of a social highlight for the week - and I'm being serious.

But it is not all bad (just was not a fantastic 2-3 weks - sorry to Mum and Maria who had to put up with all my 'unloading' on the phone). I can now ride a bike and hold an umbrella over my head at the same time. I can ride blind when I have had to ditch the umbrella and my glasses due to wind and rain.
I have introduced pumpkin soup to my housemates. Can you believe that none of them have had pumpkin soup before? I don't think it is a common vegetable here. The other day I came across a little shop with a pile of pumpkins - I bought up. The freezer is chockers with diced pumpkin.
I am also assisting with an English Conversation class once a week. This is the same class that I tried a few months ago to assist with, and had no (positive) response. Turns out the teacher suddenly wanted my help. Our conversation went a little like:

- Are you still interested in assisting with the class?
- Yes
- Great. I'll see you on Tuesday. And also, I cant make the class the next
week so can you take it without me?
- Why not

This weekend Martijn's family is celebrating Sinta Klaas. It is supposed to be at the start of December but they have decided to bring it forward as Martijn's mum will be away in December. Are you scratching your head wondering what it is I am talking about? It's some weird Dutch thing. Bit like Christmas. You have the name from someone in the family who you have to buy a gift for, make a gift for and write a poem for. I have spent hours going through the dictionary looking for words that rhyme with Henk. I've got 7.

Will let you know how it turns out.
Like I said, not all bad.

No comments: