Thursday, May 4

April - a new talent emerges

Last week while having coffee with Martijn's mum, she asked me if it was really boring being unemployed/not allowed to do anything here. I didn't quite know how to answer this - it's not like I don't do anything. So I said that I have used this time to learn how to do new things... like painting (walls and windows), removing paint from walls and windows, the value of careful paint colour selection and wood staining. These were all skills that I wouldn't really have developed otherwise. During April I also found another secret talent - darts. Well, not really real darts (I miss the board and ruin my lovely newly painted walls), but magnetic darts.

Martijn and I went to a friend's birthday during the month which unlike an ordinary birthday celebration, was a dart competition. There was real darts for the guys and magnetic darts for the girls. Martijn ended up 2nd in the "gents" competition, and I came in... 1st in the women's comp. I didn't know I had it in me, and neither did Martijn.

What a shame I forgot to add "amateur dart player" to my list of achievements while talking to Deborah.

Another new thing that happened this month was that I finally wore my "pink hat" out in public. This was the hat that Martijn bought me for my birthday last year... and I had never worn it. I am the sort of person who loves hats, but has never owned one or wore one (other than a hat for sun protection) and has a bit of trouble with the colour pink. My reasoning for not wearing the hat was that I didn't have anything that went with pink. No pink scarves, little pink handbags, pink jackets or pink shoes in this girls cupboard.

After accepting that I was never going to get around to owning any other pink clothing, I talked myself into believing that pink could go with green if it really wanted to. So I did it. I picked the perfect day to go outside wearing pink... on the Queen's birthday. How royal and pink*. I wore my pink hat with my green jacket to the once a year market where everyone goes and sells/gives away their junk.

A month full of new things.

Other events/things of note from April:
  • chicks in Zutphen with bikes tour (Neva and I)
  • Easter breakfast feast at Neva and Guss'
  • Martijn and I moved into one room, we are now sub-letting our other room.... Next 6 months will test the relationship
  • Began hockey!!!! Training 2 times a week and playing a few uni comp matches every now and then ( I don't know the calls in Dutch so I just run around during the matches yelling "here"or "yeah" (in Dutch) when I am open for the ball
  • still no sign of my visa in its physical form......
  • Saw 2 of the original Doors in concert
  • Queens birthday celebration was moved from a Sunday to a Saturday
  • Passed my language exam
  • rode Martijns bike home from football after he injured his ankle, this required me to find a little stone fence to stand on every time I stopped at the stoplights and had to get back on my bike again.
* I think that pink is a colour for the royals, although the national colour of this royal family is orange

No comments: