Yes, still waiting for my visa... but something else became official. According to the government, I can now speak Dutch. I even have a certificate to prove it.
Now if only that visa would turn up.
Now if only that visa would turn up.
Me with my Nederlands als twede taal (Netherlands as a second language) certificate
5 comments:
Is it official if you don't sign it? Handtekening van de kandidaat...
didnt read the small print
maybe you had trouble reading the dutch dotted line? ;)
Copngratulations Renee! You've done it - learnt enough Dutch I mean!! Do you feel fluent? Do you now think in Dutch! That is the big question! Catherine
Feel pretty fluent, I can get by. I dont understand EVERYTHING but I get the gist. I can watch movies in Dutch or foreign films with Dutch subtitles and get most of what is going on (as long as its not a psycho-drama that is really heavy on dialogue and verbal play!). I also understand better if I am passivley involved in a conversation. The moment I am asked a direct question I become all "What?"
Thinking in Dutch? When I am alone I think in a mixture of the two languages and when I am speaking I only think in Dutch.
But I have noticed that Dutch has had a huge effect on my English. Who would have thought?
Sometimes when I talk to my mum, or with Kelly (aussie chick who lives here (we speak a mixture of Dutch and English when we are together)) my grammar becomes really Dutch. For example, instead of saying "I would like a drink" --> "I want please a drink" or "I think so too" --> "I think that also".
During conversations with Neva (Slovenia) and Kelly (Aussie) we have come to the following (very scientific) conclusion. Dutch has an effect on our english because they are from the same language family, Neva has noticed no effect on her mother tongue because it is too different to Dutch. What do you think of our theory?
Renee
Post a Comment